English is the global medium of communication. Worldwide commerce and culture have interlinked because of this amazing language. So, it is natural this language will have some amazing facts which are unique only to English. These facts increase the allure of the language and make it all the more desirable to master it. Complete mastery of spoken English skills is required to know all of them. Read on to find some of them below:
19 amazing facts:
1. ‘Dreamt’ is the only word which ends in ‘Mt’.
2. The most common letter in the English language is the letter ‘E’.
3. The most little used words is the letter ‘Q’. This is because it is difficult to pronounce q suffixed or prefixed words.
4. There are only four words in the English vocabulary which ends in ‘dous’, They are stupendous, horrendous, tremendous and hazardous.
5. The oldest known word in the English language is ‘Town’.
6. The dot decorating the letter ‘i’ is called the ‘title’.
7. The first known English dictionary was written and published in 1755.
8. The most common letter in the vocabulary is the letter ‘l’.
9. It is compulsory for all international pilots to identify themselves in English no matter which country they are originating from.
10. The longest word with all the letters in alphabetical order is ‘almost’.
11. The longest word in the language with one syllable is ‘screeched’.
12. The frequency of ‘e’ is the highest with almost 1 in every 8 letters.
13. The phrase ‘knuckle down’ originated from the sport of playing marbles. Players had to flex their muscles while preparing to strike marbles.
14. There are only two words in English vocabulary which end in ‘gry’. They are ‘angry’ and ‘hungry’. It’s no wonder as people do get angry when hungry.
15. The most common English beginning letter is ‘s’.
16. A noun always precedes a preposition. Strong foundation in grammar will make you aware of this amazing fact.
17. A sentence which aulas de inglês particulares has all the 26 alphabets in the English language is called a ‘pangram’. The below example is commonly used to test typewriters for technical problems.
Example: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog’.
18. ‘I am’ is the shortest sentence in the English language and appears in the Holy Bible of Christianity.
19. The word therein can be decimated into seven new words without rearranging the letters. They are: here, ere, therein, herein, the, there, he, in, rein.